Monday, April 25, 2011

(4A) Brainwashed....?

I was assigned to read this article, written by Seth Godin, this week in my Media 203 class. And honestly, I am not sure that I agreed with the majority of what was said. This article was a typical "stick it to the man" type reading. That because we are taught high school math, we have been "trained to be a compliant cog"  and are being "brainwashed." I would completely negate that opinion; math teaches us persistence, how to think critically, organization skills, memorization abilities, and the list goes on. Take away math, then you take away science because "hey, thats not using your imagination, that's just reading facts." I don't believe all high school teachers are "out to get" students and make them learn geometry just to go home and have a good laugh about it. I believe that those skills are essential and for many people, develop into a hobby, passion, or job. Now I am not saying that numbers and science rules over art and music, but a balance must be found. And getting rid of Algebra is not that balance.


But alas, let me summarize two points of this article. Unless I shouldn't because it was on a syllabus and that would just be submitting to the man and giving up my brain. 



No, but in all seriousness, here are some summarizations for you.


Acknowledge The Lizzard
When we get nervous, we tend to stay quiet. We are scared to show our inner selves, our art, our emotions, and who we really are because we are scared that people won't like it. I call this self-esteem issues, and we all have them. We all are scared of what other people think whether we admit it or not. Enter, alcohol. Just kidding.

But our buddy Seth here thinks that that nervousness has been pounded into us by "the man." That because we obey our teachers in school and follow instructions, we are giving in. Now I am all for being creative and embracing individuality but that is just ridiculous.



Ship
I do like this one. Seth explains here that the most important quality one could have is the ability to get things done. To stop picking daises and prancing around the bush. To have determination, drive, and the ability to close. I agree that this is an essential thing to posses, especially in the media field. Because the ones with the jobs won't always be the most talented, but the ones who get their selves out on the field and get stuff done. 



I do like these little exercises that are assigned on the weekly. They make me think critically of the world around me, evaluate what I think, and challenge my actions (or lack thereof). Which in turns makes me a better student and artist. They are very interesting articles that I would never find or read if it wasn't for this class. Keep them coming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More